CarbonRecycling POC Funding Call NOW OPEN!

Published on 17/08/23 in News

The final call for CarbonRecycling Proof of Concept is now open.



Applications are invited for The Carbon Recycling Network, Proof of Concept (PoC) scheme. Funds are available to support projects up to 10 months duration which are at Technology Readiness Levels 1-4 in the exciting area of ‘Clean Growth’.

Call Title: ‘Clean Growth through carbon recycling by chemoautotrophs’

Reaching net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 will require extensive technological advances across the UK. This challenge can be assisted, by investment into the utilisation of waste C1 gases, particularly CO2, by chemoautotrophic bacteria. This Carbon Recycling Network POC call, aims to support projects which seek to develop processes for the re-use and exploitation of single carbon greenhouse gases and will contribute to this UK challenge. Applications centred on chemoautotrophs that focus on gas fermentation or seek the potential of anaerobic digestion as a gas fermentation feedstock are encouraged to apply.

  • POCs are awarded at 80% FEC. The awardee at the academic institution MUST be willing to provide the remaining 20% FEC.
  • Although an industrial partner is not required for PoC funding, it is encouraged.
  • To Apply for a PoC award please read the PoC Operational Guidelines and complete the PoC Application Form.

Please submit your completed application form to:

OPENS: 09 August 2023
CLOSES: 16 October 2023, 17:00h BST
FUNDS AVAILABLE: UP TO £70,000 at 80%FEC, (£87,500 at 100%FEC) for each project from a total funding pot of £350,000 at 80% FEC (£437,500 at 100%FEC).
ELIGIBILTY: Applicants must be members of The Carbon Recycling Network and be BBSRC eligible.
Research projects should be within Technology Readiness Levels 1-4.

The deadline for submitting applications is 17:00h BST on Monday 16th October 2023.

Please note: This is likely to be the last call for PoCs from the Carbon Recycling NIBB whose funding ends in March 2025.

For more information on funding and for application forms visit:
or contact The Carbon Recycling Network on