at the IBioIC Scale-Up Facilities
Senior Downstream Processing (DSP) Scientist (Research Associate) – Industrial Biotech Innovation Centre Scale-Up Facilities
Salary: Grade 7 – £33,309 – £40,927
A great opportunity to be part of a friendly and energetic team at the IBioIC Scale-Up Facilities – working at FlexBio (and on a limited base at RapidBio) – to lead and successfully deliver a range of exciting technical projects in partnership with, or on behalf of, industry partners.
Apply by 26 September 2021
About our Team
The Industrial Biotechnology Innovation Centre (IBioIC) www.ibioic.com aims to accelerate the commercialisation of the industrial biotechnology sector in Scotland, the UK and worldwide. IBioIC’s Bioprocessing Scale-Up Centre (FlexBio) based at Heriot Watt University (HWU), supports industry and academia the opportunity to execute scale-up studies using state of the art fermentation and downstream processing equipment.
Hosted within the Institute of Biological Chemistry, Biophysics and Bioengineering (www.ib3.eps.hw.ac.uk) HWU, FlexBio provides clients with the expertise and equipment to carry out semi-pilot scale fermentation and downstream processing. This includes microbial cultures up to a scale of 100L and various downstream processing techniques to separate cell and/or molecules within the fields of industrial biotechnology, bioeconomy/biomass processing, and enzyme/peptide/small molecule purification.
IBioIC are seeking to appoint a full-time Senior Downstream Processing (DSP) Scientist (Research Associate) with the aim to increase the in-house expertise and capacity of the DSP team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The post holder will be required to:
- Design and lead activities ranging from technology transfer, process optimisation and protocol development within the areas of downstream processing (DSP: cell separation, cell disruption, membrane filtration, chromatography and drying) employable towards a range of products (cell biomass, peptides, enzymes, bioeconomy).
- Plan and execute industry-led DSP projects, working closely with the IBioIC Facilities Manager & Technical Project Manager.
- Lead on the interpretation of data, while consulting with other members of the project team and with internal technical and academic teams.
- Work on multiple projects at various stages in parallel, providing updates on project progress and timelines to clients and to IBioIC management.
- Manage and mentor junior staff, ensuring their workload is prioritised accordingly.
- Attend client meetings at short notice and advise on how a potential DSP scale-up project may look.
Please apply via the link below