CyanoCapture is an award-winning climate tech startup based at the University of Oxford using GM cyanobacteria to provide low-cost carbon capture
CyanoCapture is an award-winning climate tech startup based at the University of Oxford using GM cyanobacteria to provide low-cost carbon capture. Our mission is to build large scale photobioreactor infrastructures containing dense cultures of our proprietary organisms, next to power stations and other emission sites. Each 650m x 750m unit is estimated to be able to sequester 100,000T CO2/year directly from funnelled flue gases leaving industrial stacks, at an OPEX that is unparalleled in the current market.
CyanoCapture was recently announced as one of 23 winners of Elon Musk’s Carbon Removal XPRIZE.
The candidate must have both strong technical abilities and a willingness to take on a core leadership role in the company in order to succeed. This position requires physical presence at the BioEscalator, Oxford, UK, which is where the CyanoCapture lab is based.
- Lead a team of laboratory staff to achieve the company’s R&D objectives
- Planning and execution of the R&D roadmap leading to the optimisation of our transformed GM strain
- Develop lab protocols for characterisation and optimisation assays
- Sourcing and procurement of lab equipment
- Working closely in the lab on day-to-day GM engineering tasks
- Provide troubleshooting and supervision to junior scientists
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team of biologists, mechanical engineers, chemical engineers and construction teams
- Work closely with the CEO and Process Engineer on a day-to-day basis on strategic planning to facilitate the completion of our multi-million pound pilot infrastructure project in Q2 2023
- Advise the Engineering team on optimising internal conditions for our photobioreactor
- PhD in Biology, Synthetic Biology, Biotechnology or related discipline
- 3+ years working with cyanobacterial engineering
- 3+ years of experience in a related industry or in academia
- Core laboratory skills and molecular biology techniques including PCR, bacterial cloning, gel electrophoresis,
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced climate tech company
- Analytical and quantitative skills
- £55,000 – £62,000 pa
- Share options
Deadline to apply: 31st January 2022
Please send a CV and cover letter (preferable but not essential) to firstname.lastname@example.org (Co-Founder) detailing your qualifications and suitability for the position.
Please make clear where you are currently based, and your ability to work in-person